“In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks”
“Whether you want to uncover the secrets of the universe, or you want to pursue a career in the 21st century, basic computer programming is an essential skill to learn.”
Develop students to be able to:
- Understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of Computer Science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms, and data representation.
- Analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems (debugging).
- Evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar tech, analytically to solve problems.
- Develop soft skills such as collaboration, decision making, problem solving, analysing and perserence.
- Become responsible, confident, competent and creative users of information and communication technology becoming confident digital citizens.
- Ensure that students leaving Atlantic Academy Portland are equipped with a full range of skills to embrace a future of rapidly advancing computer technology and are ready for a career in a globally competitive workforce.
|Unit 1||Unit 2||Unit 3|
|R||E-Safety and the Use of Technology: To explore technology||Computer systems: To use technology for different purposes||Creating Media: Photography||Handling Data: Plants and Growth||Computational Thinking: Creating Instructions||Coding and Programming: BeeBots|
|Y1||E-Safety and the Use of Technology||Computer Systems And Networks: Technology Around Us||Creating Media: Digital Painters||Handling Data:
|Coding And Programming A: Moving A Robot||Coding And Programming B: Animations|
|Y2||E-Safety and the Use of Technology||Computer Systems And Networks: Its Around Us||Creating Media: Digital Photography||Handling Data: Pictograms||Coding And Programming A: Robot Algorithms||Coding And Programming B: Programming Quizzes|
|Y3||E-Safety and the Use of Technology||Computer Systems And Networks: Connection Computers||Creating Media: Stop Frame Animation||Handling Data:
|Coding And Programming A: Sequencing Sounds||Coding And Programming B: Events And Actions In Programs|
|Y4||E-Safety and the Use of Technology||Computer Systems And Networks: The Internet||Creating Media: Photo Editing||Handling Data: Data Logging||Coding And Programming A: Repetition In Shapes||Coding And Programming B: Repetition In Games|
|Y5||E-Safety and the Use of Technology||Computer Systems And Networks: Systems And Searching||Creating Media: Video Production||Handling Data:
|Coding And Programming A: Selection In Physical Computing
Change From Crumble To Legowedo
|Coding And Programming B: Selection In Quizzes|
|Y6||E-Safety and the Use of Technology||Computer Systems And Networks: Communication And Collaboration||Creating Media: 3D Modeling Tinkercad||Handling Data: Introduction To Spreadsheets||Coding And Programming A : Variables In Games||Coding And Programming B: Sensing Movement|
|Y7||Introduction to the Google suite and cloud computing. Creating original media on dedicated software for presentation to specific audiences.|
|Y8||Creating spreadsheets and formulas to order and manipulate datasets. Creating a range of media for promotional purposes.|
“Whatever school they attend or what field they plan to go into, every student should have the opportunity to understand the principles and practices of computing. This will broaden their career opportunities and is critical to developing a globally competitive workforce for the 21st century. Google could not have been founded and could not have grown without top quality computer science education."
Ronan Harris, UK MD of Google