Our curriculum vision is to deliver an authentic education for the 21st century for children from the age of Reception – Year 11. The aim of the curriculum is to ensure all students are inspired with a passion for learning and achieve high levels of academic success in a broad range of subjects whilst at the same time equipping them with the knowledge and skills required to play an active and successful role in today’s highly competitive and fast-changing world.
Atlantic Academy’s curriculum aims are:
The Atlantic Curriculum is underpinned by the National Curriculum
Ensure a broad curriculum coverage
Develop a knowledge rich curriculum
Ensure that knowledge acquisition is enhanced through being effectively applied to real-life situations and problems
Widen knowledge acquisition through single discipline and transdisciplinary learning
Ensure all learning is challenging and engaging
Develop transferable future skills through the application of knowledge into actions for success.
Ensure high rates of progress for all students.
Promote teacher planning that is integral to the success and progression of the curriculum and also manageable.
Atlantic Academy like any Aspirations Academies shares a common philosophy but has a distinctive approach to education. There are three guiding principles and the 8 conditions that all Aspirations Academies adhere to. These following principles are central to the curriculum:
Self-worth : Belonging; Heroes; Sense of accomplishment
Engagement : Fun and excitement, Curiosity and Creativity; Spirit of adventure
Purpose: Leadership and responsibility; Confidence to take action
In addition, our core values underpinning our curriculum are:
- We are proud of our school and it is respected in the community
We care and respect each other
We define ourselves and are not afraid of opportunity
We feel valued
We feel safe to learn and try something new
We believe in ourselves and each other
We work hard and are resilient
We have disruption free learning
We have an engaging curriculum
In applying knowledge to real-world contexts and allowing young learners to take the lead in using this knowledge to find solutions and to deepen their learn, at Atlantic Academy, we ensure the following nine Core Principles are a clearly featured in every element of the academy’s work.
- High Expectations – Being the very best you can be in your school and community
- With Big Dreams and Hard Work – Aspirations means to dream about the future while being inspired in the present to reach those dreams
- Employability – Equipping you with the skills and abilities you’ll need to excel in our ever-changing world
- Global – Having the cultural awareness needed to communicate in our interconnected world
- Innovation and Enterprise – Supporting your creativity by encouraging you to ask ‘Why?’ and ‘Why not?’
- Talent Development – Enhancing your natural strengths and abilities so you thrive in school and beyond
- Challenge – Making your learning exciting and relevant to the real world
- Opportunity – Matching your interests with activities that will help you to leave school well-rounded and confident
Our curriculum has been developed to meet the needs of students so that they have both embodied and institutional cultural capital with Employability and Future Skills as the centrepiece of our educational provision:
- Productivity and accountability
- Media literacy
- Cognitive load management
- Creative and adaptive thinking
- Cross-cultural competency